Monday, August 14, 2006

Poems - Words

They say that
"Words will never hurt me"
But I doubt
For words can wound me
In a way
That violence could not dare
To boast

Often words can cut
Like glass shards
Across my skin
Like fingers down
A chalkboard
They make ears bleed
With the din

And oft I long to hear
Sweet words on offer
From you
A symbol after all
That you may
Still care

But absence
Silence
Strikes a chord
No sound shot
Like an arrow
To pierce my ear

Oh, and words decieve
As I remember
Whispered clear
Your promises
Now lay broken
Shattered my heart

Symbols all
They are
Drawn, designed
Delivered
Like "Letters"
All they announce
Is of a silent war
Between head and heart
Abandon arms
For I will talk no more.

By Hilary Wheaton

1 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome. Words hurt a lot more than fists or feet. People used to shove me around a bit at school and I would respond by simply pointing out their flaws. I knew that, at that moment, I might have a bruise or two and it might look to the people around me like I'd lost. But that night I'd go home, put a bit of ice on something if it hurt too much and it'd be fine, while the other person would brood over it (I was very good at what I did and I could tell when I'd hit the mark because that's when they would take a swing) and they'd be the ones who were really hurting.

Anyway, I saw something recently about a local publisher called Sunline. You should see about getting them to publish your work if you haven't already. They only do poetry I think, and it's as much about keeping the art alive as making money so I think they're a good business. I wrote to them to see about some work experience and I haven't heard anything back yet but if I do maybe I could put in a good word.

Nick (thekillerinyou - LJ)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.