Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Love Poems - In the Garden

The Garden of Eden has fallen
No longer complete in it's glory
It's purity has turned to poison
And all feels incomplete
My name of course is Eve
The first of womankind
A balance between
Mere mortal and divine
My lover he was Adam
A young man in his prime
Often we did make sweet love
To while'away the time
I made him wedding bands
Of flowers, plucked
From flowering roots
Tied myself to him forever
Because my love was true
Likewise Adam oft took pleasure
To stare into my eyes
And lay sweet kisses on my lips
Then sing me lullabies
This love so pure, the first made true
Was shared under the eaves
In Eden where the flowers grew
And birds sang in the trees.

But paradise is lost
And is I that paid the cost
As I wandered in the morning
Still sleepy, and often yawning
I stumbled on the devil's hand
A snake coiled in the sand
That slithered near
Around my feet
And bade me in soft tones to eat
Some fruit it had espyed
Apples, moist and juicy
Ladening the tree
So many that one cannot mind
If I took some for Adam and me
Though it was forbade
To take from that beautiful tree
The snake did urge me on
Explain the gifts
Of knowledge in sweet song
Promising to make
Me wise, such a gift
Then Adam could not jest
That is always he that knew best
So I picked the fruit
And hurried with my loot
To where he did lie
With sleep still in his eye
I promise we both did eat
Our fill so stomachs were complete
Then spoke of knowledge
Of which I knew
No longer did I feel
The lesser of the two
But anger soon was swift
I was not meant this gift
Disgraced with hurrying feet
They bade me meet
The cruel world outside our garden
But what makes my heart harden
Condemns me incomplete
Is that Adam still lies within
With a new, sweet Eve
Still shares in love and laughter
And engages minds with angels
Who do repeat
Arguments ad nauseam
As if they were a treat
While I sit in cold
Stomclouds above me meet
I wonder if all Sins are still
Condemned to me because I chose to eat.

By Hilary Wheaton

1 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hilary, should you be copyrighting all ur stuff on the net? (maybe you already have, i was just briefly glancing around the place)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.