Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Poems - Seven Deadly Sins - Invidia (Envy)

Envy is a worm
Nestled in my brain
An ever present burning
That drives me insane

One cannot be content
Nor have peace of mind
When all the while
This worm, it burrows
Reminds me what's not mine

It coils, thin, convulsing body
Squeezes anger
But lacking hate
Offers little satisfaction
In any step I choose to take

Envy is a maggot
Swallowed,
Whole and plump
Seething in my stomach

Delights that I intake
The taste of sweet success
Or happiness,
Suffers to turn bitter
Fester, absess

Blind devouring creature
Cannot truly discern
What serves to feed it
Or for what I yearn

Envy is a foreign curse
Inflicted on the body
But no simple cause or cure
Can be remedied

The eyes, the heart, my ears detect
Will hurt, despise, repent, regret
And suffer to endure
As envy gains its daily bread

Envy,
If you have my heart's desire
If I am to be denied
Envy,
Be my supper
But only til
I am fulfilled
And truly satisfied.

By Hilary Wheaton

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.