Saturday, May 20, 2006

Poems- Seven Deadly Sins - Gula - (Gluttony) (II)

Sweet, Tender
Succulent fruit
Ripened by the Season
To pluck
Fresh from nature
Just for me

But I take no pleasure
In your fruits
You see
Because my taste
Delights not
In what you offer
Me

Sweets
Sugared Treats
Lack the nutrients
For which I hunger
Yet to devour
Will satisfy
Maybe for an hour
Until once more
My hunger fails
To be abated

Let the wine flow
Down forever
Sliding liquid
Smoothe as silk
On the surface
Of my throat

But my thirst
Makes me feel
Forever dry
And denied
In this meal

Maybe all I need
Is water
And a simple slice of bread
To evermore satisfy
And forgo
This hunger that I dread.

By Hilary Wheaton

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.